Search This Blog

Thursday, August 18, 2011

TDKR -- Work In Progress?

Obviously, this is something new to me so, hopefully I keep it up.
.........................................
That's what she said!


I read so many stories throughout the day from various news sources, mainly movie news, reviews, spoilers, etc. , and the recent explosion of behind the scenes information regarding The Dark Knight Rises is bothering me a little too much.

You see only a few years ago, even, behind the scenes spoilers were still few and spread out. Maybe it was security or maybe it was the lack of smart phones, but we weren't smothered with pics and videos like we are now.

I am of the type that no matter what spoilers, pics, or videos that are released a movie is not ruined for me. I can still go into a movie and either enjoy it or hate it based on the movie in its entirety. So for me all the content doesn't really get to me. Its just the fact that people are posting all this stuff and no one is stopping them that bothers me.

I feel that in film making there should be a shroud of mystery hiding behind the production. So far we have seen exactly what Bane looks like, mostly what Catwoman looks like, and exactly (albeit only slightly changed) what Batsy looks like. Bane looks very very, hmmm, strange to me? They are not going with the comic look at all. I hope they at least make him a professional wrestler. And his voice! Please do post voice work. I laughed when I heard that. By the way WB, how can you deliberately release a photo of him with some fans (from the day shooting at the steelers football field). Where is the mystery? Joker was almost a complete mystery aside from the black and white teaser photo released. That is another reason TDK was so great. Mystery!

Looking at the stills and videos, and my knowledge of the comic that inspired the film, I can come up with what the movie will probably be like. The story and structure do not deviate from the heroes quest, so its easy to fill in the blanks with characters, locations, and sequence of events. That said, the story I have seems rushed and rehashed from the first movie. We know Ra's daughter is in the movie. But why? Why bring the dead back to life? Why not just continue to move on and rap the story up?

Mike Hacker and I came up with a brilliant story, that still had the Joker and Two Face in it.
--A copycat thief is on a spree of bank robbery's. At each robbery another clue rapped in a green and purple present, with and question mark is left behind. Inside is another cryptic message or riddle, that is directed towards Batsy. Gordon goes to Arkham where Joker is now housed and questions him. Insert several never before released shots and/or audio with a figure in the darkness of the Joker. His information gives Gordon a leg to stand on and cue the investigation. Is it the Joker organizing revenge using the Riddler? Because Bats is now Gotham's most wanted will he be able to redeem himself for the White Knights death by stopping Riddler? Is the White Knight dead? Who is the Riddler, Rachel's brother, Joker's relative, a completely unacquainted baddy? The movie itself could be this wrapped Riddle that doesn't unravel until the end. Finally, it would be called "The Two Faces".

Sorry Mike, I hope I didn't ruin and/or leave anything out. Its been several years.

I just don't want to see the Comic book trilogy trend happen to TDKR. That's where the third movie in a comic series suck royal donkey balls. Remember Spiderman 3? Okay enough said. I apologize for the expletive.

That is my Screen Rant, please send me a comment if you wish.

1 comment:

  1. 1) I love "teasers" - they're what plant the seeds of desire to watch the events of the film unfold, and I do think that sometimes we are given "too much" - sometimes we see SO MUCH in spoilers, trailers, and such that it's almost pointless to watch the film because we already know what's going to happen.

    2) I would LOVE to see the Riddler show up in one of these DK movies. I love what Christopher Nolan has done with this story and I would really love to see his interpretation of the Riddler.

    3) I'm with you on the third movie not sucking. As much as I adore Anne Hathaway, I'm a little concerned about how she's going to portray Cat Woman. I'm also a little worried about the introduction of Bane at this point. There were so many other wonderful villains in the Bat Man series - Two Face, the Penguin, Poison Ivy . . . and honestly Bane doesn't stand out as one of the greatest to me.

    I guess we shall see . . .
    -Jen-

    ReplyDelete